Monday, June 2, 2014

A Truly Delicious Healthy Jam

What do you get when you mix fresh apricots and chia seeds? 

You get this....
Apricot Chia Seed Jam

I should also mention it is sugar free, no pectin, and omega 3's!! 

Some may be asking what are chia seeds? These sesame looking seeds pack a punch of nutritional benefits.  Click here to read about the benefits of chia seeds. This superfood is also highly recommend for women with PCOS as it helps to regulate sugar levels. Click here to read about how chia seeds help with PCOS.

I was given a bag of fresh from the tree apricots. I have chia seeds on hand. I had an idea. 
I'm making jam!


8 cups chopped apricots
3 cups coconut sugar
juice from 1 lemon (not pictured)
1 tbs cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup chia seeds (add at the end)

Mix all ingredients into a big pot and heat on medium. Stir to mix well and prevent burning. The coconut sugar gives it a rich brown sugar look.  Let simmer for 30 minutes.



When time is up turn off the heat and stir in the chia seeds. I used an immersion blender to smooth out the jam.  As the jam cools it will continue to thicken. 



My house smelled amazing at this point and my husband started to hover.  Next step is to can the jam. I follow basic canning directions. 



The final result is a comfort food tasting jam that I cannot wait to top my oatmeal with in the morning. Zero guilt and many added health benefits.  This is a great way to get my family to eat "Mom's healthy foods" without them blinking an eye. 

I love knowing I have made good, healthy, nutritious food for my family. I have several jars on hand.  This jam can be used mixed in with oatmeal, on toast, crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,....on a spoon! 
Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment